Sunday, April 10, 2011

Stuck in the Airport

I write this from an airport where I have been sitting since 5am ET-one of those travel experiences, I guess. This is also my first mobile blog post-hope it all works out!

In reading about the politeness theory, especially the example of Josephine, I feel this theory is very indirect. I see the need to save face and I am sure I have done it before yet if I want to switch a shift with someone I am going to come out and ask. No one enjoys being in an embarrassing situation and I can see how this theory would look to address that. Although, it would seem one would need to 'save face' after the communication has occurred.

I really like the Social Exchange Theory. I feel like I have used this theory often and didn't realize it until now. Two examples come to mind-the first is with friendships and the other is dating relationships. With various life experiences, travels and activities I have done in my life, there are many people I have meet and friendships created. It has been rather recently that I am paying more attention to those relationships-looking at the rewards versus the costs. Previously, I felt I had to do everything to maintain and strengthen those relationships. Many times that would be one-sided and I would be discouraged or hurt by the efforts I put in with little in return. Now I look at these relationships more closely and put in the amount of time and effort that I am comfortable with. I don't take it so personally when my efforts are not reciprocate. On the other hand, in dating relationships, I try to 'make it work' almost ignoring the cost to me completely! I know I do this and try to understand it all the time. Using the SET, my prediction may be 'dissatisfied' (outcomes<cl), yet I continue. If that were the case in a friendship, I would look to make a change.

1 comment:

  1. Allison FriederichsApril 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM

    Amalea,
    Interesting observations about how SET has played out in your life. I agree that I think it's such an interesting way to think about how we look at relationships. We all really do weight these costs and rewards from time to time, even if not consciously. Good insight!

    ReplyDelete