I found the case study on the attribution theory very interesting. The idea that humans are detectives resignation with me. I feel it is so much of our time in communication is trying to figure out the 'why' that leads to the outcomes. What does inspire our mannerisms, behavior and events?
In reading over the discussion questions, the second one asks about research methods that could be used to study the attribution theory. What comes to mind is the method of LEAN and Six Sigma. It is something I am studying extensivly for my career and within the healthcare industry. For a long time, this has been used in manufacturing jobs but recently expanded to other areas and proven to be very effective. It is a very systematic approach to solving problems, specifically reducing waste and being more efficient. Similar to studying the attribution theory and what leads to our communication in various situations, this method looks at the process of a task and finds ways to streamline it. I feel I am a very logical person and like order, which is why I am attracted to this research method and why I feel so strongly that it can cross over to all industries.
While that is a very scientific approach to this theory, I still think there is a humanistic element as those events, behaviors and mannerisms can be, and most often are, personal to each person and to their situations as in the example of Rebecca.
The discussion on Message Design Logic was very interesting. The questions I took away from the bottom of page 38 when they talk about MDL being different from personality traits. While MDLs can change through a lifetime, is there a tendency to one over the others? Do personality traits determine that type of MDL for each individual or is it completely situational?
Amalea,
ReplyDeleteInteresting comments about attribution theory. I can appreciate why you are drawn to the theory. I'm not sure I follow completely how Six Sigma applies to attribution theory. I would love to hear more about that! But you have a good point about these things being situational. The context very often determines the types of attributions we make -- in fact, that is the essence of Kelley's Covariation Model, isn't it?
Your questions on MDL are interesting, too. Bring those up tonight!
Good work :-)
Allison
I found attribution theory interesting as well. But what concerned me the most about attribution theory is the fact that I have no idea where to begin to study communication and I am taking this class. I think this weeks readings were a testament to why it is important to take a formal approach when studying communication. Most of us, especially those with no education on the subject may be drawing very incorrect conclusions and thus regressing in our communication skills.
ReplyDeleteSorry. Anonymous was Chris Lane
ReplyDelete